Interested in Road Safety? Passionate about leading technologies? This pioneering research needs your help!
The Data Acqusition System (DAS) is a unique system of sensors and dataloggers that allows the continuous recording of many data variables including video. The installed equipment will collect data variables using a number of sensors and video cameras whenever the vehicle is running. These variables include acceleration in multiple axes, gyroscopic motion, indicator status, speed, radar, and GPS position. All sensors and the DAS itself are strictly in read-only mode and will not affect or communicate in anyway to yourself or your vehicle.
Please also note that the video cameras will NOT record any audio in the cabin. The only time that audio will be recorded is if you choose to press the red incident button located near the rear vision mirror. In this case, you can record a message for up to 30 seconds; for example, if you want to say something about a safety-related or other incident you have just been involved in.
The DAS that will be used for this study will compile data from the vehicle network as well as from sensors added for this particular study. The general design characteristics for the DAS include the following:
- Compatible with the vehicle;
- Unobtrusive and non–invasive with minimal physical space requirements (for data storage unit);
- Requires no permanent modifications to the vehicle, except in some cases where a standard front licence plate holder would need to be installed;
- Automatic start–up, shut–down, and continuous operation while driving;
- Continuous multi–camera video recording system to capture driver's face, forward and rear views, and a view of the driver's interaction with dashboard or other systems;
- A blurred, still snapshot of the passenger cabin to obtain information on the number of passengers. Unconsented passengers will not be identifiable from these blurred snapshots.
The DAS consists of a basic sensor suite of:
- Real time H264 Encoding of 4 multiplexed video channels;
- Vehicle CAN (in-vehicle system data) interface;
- Machine Vision;
- Lane Tracker;
- Face and Head Pose Tracker;
- Real Time G711 Encoding for capturing cabin audio (which is switched off unless triggered through incident button);
- Sound level meter;
- 3 axis accelerometers;
- 3 axis gyroscopes;
- Cellular GSM module;
- GPS receiver;
- Radar tracking up to 6 independent targets;
- Solid State Drive;
- Cabin Temperature Sensor;
- Cabin Alcohol Sensor;
- Mobileye Integration and data capture (Mobileye Advanced Driver Assistance System – lane detection, speed detection, road user detection, vehicle headway).